[Mageia-dev] Proposal of a backporting process

Angelo Naselli anaselli at linux.it
Tue Jun 28 09:25:28 CEST 2011

domenica 26 giugno 2011 alle 13:38, Michael Scherer ha scritto:
> See the thread about policy, and the part about "only packages that
> nothing requires should be backported".
I can't see very well the leaf story... I mean any packages
require something at least to build. Scripts need interpreters, so
i'd expect interpreters cannot be backported, but we can find a
script based package (using perl, ruby or python...) needing some other
script based one, the same could happen for programs. Now what can
we backport there?
A and B are leaves (?) but B uses A so i can revert A for a problem,
now are we sure A on stable works with B on backports?

Morever we could not backport new major libraries, they would not conflicts
with stable though, but sure they could affect some packages built in backports
after that should not work without new major.....

I'm confused :/

IMO we should improve the QA (or what else) and testing to allow a safe
installation and proving that will be upgraded to the next mageia release,
then if we call it backports, upgrades, updates or... that's
another and maybe less important thing.

Angelo