[Mageia-dev] Looking for a mentor in packaging...

Radu-Cristian FOTESCU beranger5ca at yahoo.ca
Wed Jun 29 01:17:17 CEST 2011

>> I too said I need mentoring / I want to take care of some packages in mga.
>> In the meantime, I am on my own: http://mageia.beranger.org/mageia/
>
>I hope we can find you a mentor as soon as possible. If any mentor is available
>for beranger, please tell ! Otherwise, please give some time to the new
>mentoring coordination small team so that they can try to improve the process
>and find a mentor for you.

I know people is now busy with bringing KDE 4.6.90 to Cauldron, and mentors are a scarce resource, yet I'd like to say that I added a few more packages in my unofficial repo (y compris calibre updated to 0.8.7):

OCR-related new packages:

* cuneiform-linux, at 1.1.0, a rather good multilanguage OCR (the officially-available tesseract is also a good one, but it lacks a GUI)
* cuneiform-qt, a simple yet very practical GUI for the previous package
* yagf, another GUI for the same OCR
* kbookocr 2.0, a hard-to-find (on distros other than ALT Linux) GUI for the same OCR, able to also use PDF and DJVU for input files, offering an interface with the scanner, and an integration with the default word processor (LibreOffice Writer)

All these OCR GUIs are showing up in the Office KDE menu, not in Graphics, like XSane.
Screenshots:
http://mageia.beranger.org/images/cuneiform-qt.png
http://mageia.beranger.org/images/yagf.png
http://mageia.beranger.org/images/kbookocr.png

While testing cuneiform-linux with all these GUIs, I’ve already filed a bug with the upstream:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/cuneiform-linux/+bug/803156

Best regards,
R-C aka beranger