[Mageia-dev] [RFC] prefer dma rather than postfix in prefer.vendor.list for msec mga1 -> mga2 upgrade

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Wed Nov 9 23:13:56 CET 2011

Le mercredi 09 novembre 2011 à 22:41 +0200, Anssi Hannula a écrit :
> On 09.11.2011 22:34, Florian Hubold wrote:

> >> What configuration ?
> >> AFAIK, Postfix work out of the box for the use case of msec/cron, mail
> >> sent to root are delivered to root mailbox, unless someone added a
> >> aliase.

> >> the same file, thus requiring the same configuration, or needing the
> >> same declaration of a smart host ).
> >>
> >> Wouldn't it be better to send everything to /var/log if no mta are
> >> found ?
> >> ( ie, do something like that :
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NoMTA ). We have the proper
> >> version of cronie ( I hope ), so what prevent us ?
> >>
> > msec already sends everything also to /var/log, which was disregarded
> > in last discussion because normal users don't look there and it
> > slowly adds up on diskspace.
>
> Normal users also do not read local mailboxes and the mailboxes slowly
> add up on diskspace.

And log files can be rotated, unlike mailboxes. Maybe the log are not
rotated on the other hand, so that's a bug that could/should be fixed,
if that's the case.

What we could do is either :
- install nothing by default
- install postfix/dma/whatever by a drakwizard if/when user give a email
for msec alert.

Maybe another solution would be to make msec smarter and not spew 100
lines per hours. I am all for msec but as I say often, this look like a
Homer Simpson invention.

WDYT ?
--
Michael Scherer