[Mageia-dev] Removal of non-free firmware from core section

Johnny A. Solbu cooker at solbu.net
Thu Nov 10 08:25:03 CET 2011

On Monday 07 November 2011 23:58, José Jorge wrote:
> So I'd say yes it can and should move to non-free, as it is even possible to
> use this hardware without it.

In other words, you would prefer to have non-free drivers to remain in the "core" tree because otherwise some hardware may not work? (Did i understand you correctly?)

Then why are there any drivers in the non-free tree and not in "core"? Either we have a separation of Free and non-free software or we do not. Mixing Free and non-free packages in the "core" tree when we have a nonfree tree is inconsistent. Whether or not it makes anything work shouldn't matter on the desition to move non-free packages into the nonfree tree. The license should be the decisive factor.

I am of the firm belief that we ought to have a clear separation between Free and non-free software, and have the ones who want it, add the non-free tree. (I am one of those who have the non-free tree in my available repository list, mainly because of some patent encumbered software, and proprietary codecs, but that is My choice to make.)

Debian are going down this path, and their "main" tree have now only Free software, after they moved the non-free kernel drivers into the non-free section last february with Debian 6.0. Meaning, if one install Debian and only have main and contrib repos, one have a Free software only installation.
We should do the same.

I guess it comes down to this: Do we want to have Only Free software packages in "core" or not.
I think it would be in our interest to do this.

--
Johnny A. Solbu
PGP key ID: 0xFA687324