[Mageia-dev] Removal of non-free firmware from core section

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Thu Nov 10 14:01:49 CET 2011

On 11/10/2011 02:25 AM, Johnny A. Solbu wrote:
> In other words, you would prefer to have non-free drivers to remain in
> the "core" tree because otherwise some hardware may not work? (Did i
> understand you correctly?)
If we're going to have core and non-free to begin with, then non-free
stuff shouldn't be in core.  That being said, it isn't the problem
here.  The problem is that non-free isn't as available as core.  It
should be, based on prompting the user during install.  Those who want a
totally free system that lacks non-free functionality just have to say no.

If it makes a philosophical difference, then have no default and require
the user to explicitly answer yes or no, and get treated accordingly.
Putting non-free stuff in core is an attempted solution to the problem
that enabling and using non-free in an installed core-only system is
much more complicated than it ought to be.  By the time a user boots his
installed system, non-free stuff should already be there if he wants it
there.