[Mageia-dev] Removal of non-free firmware from core section

xi ctrl.alt.sup at free.fr
Thu Nov 10 15:30:56 CET 2011

Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> 2011/11/10 Frank Griffin <ftg at roadrunner.com>:
>> On 11/10/2011 02:25 AM, Johnny A. Solbu wrote:
>>> In other words, you would prefer to have non-free drivers to remain in the
>>> "core" tree because otherwise some hardware may not work? (Did i understand
>>> you correctly?)
>> If we're going to have core and non-free to begin with, then non-free stuff
>> shouldn't be in core.  That being said, it isn't the problem here.  The
>> problem is that non-free isn't as available as core.  It should be, based on
>> prompting the user during install.  Those who want a totally free system
>> that lacks non-free functionality just have to say no.
>>
>> If it makes a philosophical difference, then have no default and require the
>> user to explicitly answer yes or no, and get treated accordingly.  Putting
>> non-free stuff in core is an attempted solution to the problem that enabling
>> and using non-free in an installed core-only system is much more complicated
>> than it ought to be.  By the time a user boots his installed system,
>> non-free stuff should already be there if he wants it there.
>
> By the time a user boots his installed system he either has the online
> repositories already set (after install from liveCD) or is just a
> mouse click away from setting them. When the online repos are set the
> non-free repo is available if the user wants to have it.

What about if I don't have internet access ?

(Typically, in my company, we provided Mandriva DVD for customer with no
internet connection. There were able to get a working system without any
additional trick).

Maybe I misunderstood the problem (if so, sorry) :
If it is just a matter of asking to user whether or not he wants to
install non free firmware, then just go! But if the user with no
internet access is stuck because of firmware absence, then that's just
stupid!

Xavier