[Mageia-dev] Removal of non-free firmware from core section

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 10 14:22:09 CET 2011

2011/11/10 Frank Griffin <ftg at roadrunner.com>:
> On 11/10/2011 02:25 AM, Johnny A. Solbu wrote:
>>
>> In other words, you would prefer to have non-free drivers to remain in the
>> "core" tree because otherwise some hardware may not work? (Did i understand
>> you correctly?)
>
> If we're going to have core and non-free to begin with, then non-free stuff
> shouldn't be in core.  That being said, it isn't the problem here.  The
> problem is that non-free isn't as available as core.  It should be, based on
> prompting the user during install.  Those who want a totally free system
> that lacks non-free functionality just have to say no.
>
> If it makes a philosophical difference, then have no default and require the
> user to explicitly answer yes or no, and get treated accordingly.  Putting
> non-free stuff in core is an attempted solution to the problem that enabling
> and using non-free in an installed core-only system is much more complicated
> than it ought to be.  By the time a user boots his installed system,
> non-free stuff should already be there if he wants it there.

By the time a user boots his installed system he either has the online
repositories already set (after install from liveCD) or is just a
mouse click away from setting them. When the online repos are set the
non-free repo is available if the user wants to have it.

Again it boils down to the decision whether Mageia wants to distribute
non-free in her installation media or not. This decision has been made
long ago and discussing the same settled issue over and over again is
wasting time.

--
wobo