[Mageia-dev] Teamviewer and X86_64 build . . .

Robert Fox list at foxconsult.net
Tue Nov 29 10:07:16 CET 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-28 at 21:10 +0100, Maarten Vanraes wrote:
> Op maandag 28 november 2011 14:40:34 schreef Michael Scherer:
> [...]
> > There is several pragmatic reasons for that and, there is also some long
> > term harm by shipping more and more proprietary software like :
> [...]
> > Personally, I aim for better stuff than fragile unsustainable hacks like
> > this. And we should not start to settle on lower standards, especially
> > if forced to us by non cooperative company or group. One could be
> > tolerable. Two, likely. More, that's starting to generalize, and that's
> > just sending the wrong signal to the whole community, and saying to
> > company "it is ok to treat us like parias". It is hard to be credible
> > when saying "we want to provides a solid system" and in the same time,
> > do the contrary.
> >
> > I doubt we will be able to bring real long term credibility and a
> > reputation for quality if we go this way. People can just compare Ubuntu
> > reputation to Debian one, and see which one was able to survive without
> > spending million of dollars each year. And also which one serve as a
> > base for the other.
>
> You touch some interesting points here, and I appreciate you here explaining
> your personal opinion, I'm beginning to see more clearly your reasoning in the
> past, and my own reasoning. I believe i may have to review my own pov here...
>
> +1

I also see some of the valid points, but bottom line - is that Mageia
should help create working packages for the bigger ticket items (like
Skype) - in a cooperative spirit.

We are not proposing that such packages be included in the ISOs - just
available in a repository which we can trust and know that it works . .

That's all we ask for . .

Cheers,
R.Fox