[Mageia-dev] [changelog] [RPM] 1 core/updates_testing terminator-0.96-1.mga1

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Wed Oct 5 16:08:54 CEST 2011

Le mercredi 5 octobre 2011 15:56:58, Lev Givon a écrit :
> Received from Manuel Hiebel on Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 06:32:04AM EDT:
> > Le mardi 04 octobre 2011 à 18:44 -0400, Lev Givon a écrit :
> > > Received from Manuel Hiebel on Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 06:39:58PM EDT:

> > > Where should they go?
> >
> > according the policy:
> >
> > For the most part, an update should consist of a patched build of the
> > same version of the package released with the distribution, with a few
> >
> > exceptions:
> >       *     Software versions that are no longer supported upstream with
> >
> >         updates (firefox and thunderbird seem to fall into this category
> >         these days)
> >
> >       *     Software that is version-bound to an online service (games,
> >
> >         virus scanners?) and will only work with the latest version.
> >
> >       *     We will make exceptions for packages that did not make it
> >
> >         into mga1 and are additions to the distribution, provided they
> >         do not impact any other packages and can pass full QA.
> >
> > Updates are not the appropriate place for packages created to satisfy
> > certain user's urges for “the latest”. These types of builds belong in
> > backports.
> >
> > http://www.mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=updates_policy
>
> Has any decision been made on when the backports repository be
> open for submissions?
>
> 						L.G.

Yes and no. Decision is : as soon as sysadmins are ready. Practically, this
means that a sysadmin has to find the time to do it, and the proposed technical
solution can take time to implement. That's why I proposed 2 other solutions
that would allow to open really soon but haven't really got an answer.

I'll try to have it added as the subject to tonight's packager meeting.

Samuel