[Mageia-dev] RPM features/issues/wishlist

Per Øyvind Karlsen peroyvind at mandriva.org
Fri Oct 14 19:14:17 CEST 2011

2011/10/14 Florian Hubold <doktor5000 at arcor.de>:
> Am 14.10.2011 16:19, schrieb Per Øyvind Karlsen:
>>
>> I've started to ramble on some of the features, issues, ideas etc. to
>> work on and consider
>> for our (Mandriva Linux) next development cycle, and in the interest
>> of sharing work and
>> coordinating efforts with others, while inviting others to contribute:
>> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Development/Tasks/Packaging/Tools/RPM/TODO
>>
>> While it's certainly written from a vendor POV (and also rather crude
>> for the moment), I'm cross-posting
>> this one as it's of potential interest to others as well and the idea
>> is for things to be as generic as
>> possible anyhows.. :)
>>
>> So I invite others with the interest to contribute to the discussion
>> on the list and wiki, proposing
>> ideas, gather a list of issues that needs to be addressed, and do some
>> general brainstorming
>> and uhm.. "stuff". ;)
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Per Øyvind
>>
> I'm curious, following whole RPM5 "discussions" over the last months/year
> on Cooker and also from my humble and polite POV  some rather disappointing
> threads/answers about RPM5. Also i somehow feel sorry for jbj as he only
> offered his help for free and what he had to take from some people :(
>
> What would be maybe interesting to many people actually interested in RPM5,
> is what does it actually bring to the table for the end users? So far ACAICT
> from what i have observed it adds supports for ACID
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACID>. On the other side
> it seems quite a bit slower in some cases, means much work for you as
> one of the implementers and a whole lot of work for maintainers just
> to keep the packages working as they did before. Yeah, there are some
> added benefits like notice/removal od some dependency loops but
> this is not something which is useful for the end user directly IMHO.
>
> So actually my main question is: What main advantages does RPM5
> bring and for what costs?
Ihk, my intentions was minsinterpreted in the wrong way, with both good and
negative response.. :p

I'm not advocating RPM5 here at all and need to stress again that I'm trying to
collect ideas, issues people feel like should be addressed, or
anything else people
would throw in a potential TODO list for rpm in general (ignoring the
whole fork politics
issue) in the world of distros (initially) based on Mandriva (they're
still more similar to
each other than to any other distros).

I've answered various questions regarding rpm5 in the past, while
always pointing
out that I'm not really advocating it, but merely answering peoples'
questions, yet
always been labelled as the-bad-guy-who-tries-to-force-rpm5-on-mageia, so for
obvious reasons I won't go down that road again.. ;)

There's been several responses answering this question in various
aspects on cooker
list in the past though, maybe I should collect some of them and write
up an article on
my blog or something about why the choice of it in rpm5 later or
something to give some
better overview of the situation and work put into it. (I still feel
like pointing out that
ACID didn't have that much to do with the adoption of it in Mandriva though)
But it's still off-topic for this thread (and seemingly for this list
as well;)..

--
Regards,
Per Øyvind