[Mageia-dev] RPM features/issues/wishlist

Florian Hubold doktor5000 at arcor.de
Fri Oct 14 18:48:30 CEST 2011

Am 14.10.2011 16:19, schrieb Per Øyvind Karlsen:
> I've started to ramble on some of the features, issues, ideas etc. to
> work on and consider
> for our (Mandriva Linux) next development cycle, and in the interest
> of sharing work and
> coordinating efforts with others, while inviting others to contribute:
> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Development/Tasks/Packaging/Tools/RPM/TODO
>
> While it's certainly written from a vendor POV (and also rather crude
> for the moment), I'm cross-posting
> this one as it's of potential interest to others as well and the idea
> is for things to be as generic as
> possible anyhows.. :)
>
> So I invite others with the interest to contribute to the discussion
> on the list and wiki, proposing
> ideas, gather a list of issues that needs to be addressed, and do some
> general brainstorming
> and uhm.. "stuff". ;)
>
> --
> Regards,
> Per Øyvind

I'm curious, following whole RPM5 "discussions" over the last months/year
on Cooker and also from my humble and polite POV  some rather disappointing
threads/answers about RPM5. Also i somehow feel sorry for jbj as he only
offered his help for free and what he had to take from some people :(

What would be maybe interesting to many people actually interested in RPM5,
is what does it actually bring to the table for the end users? So far ACAICT
from what i have observed it adds supports for ACID
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACID>. On the other side
it seems quite a bit slower in some cases, means much work for you as
one of the implementers and a whole lot of work for maintainers just
to keep the packages working as they did before. Yeah, there are some
added benefits like notice/removal od some dependency loops but
this is not something which is useful for the end user directly IMHO.

So actually my main question is: What main advantages does RPM5
bring and for what costs?