[Mageia-dev] Please test: initscripts+systemd in updates_testing

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Sat Oct 29 22:13:35 CEST 2011

30.10.2011 01:16, Colin Guthrie skrev:
> 'Twas brillig, and Thomas Backlund at 27/10/11 15:12 did gyre and gimble:
>>
>> Then we need to move those libs to /lib(64)
>
> There is quite serious talk about deprecating /lib, /bin and /sbin and
> basically anything that is not in /usr (with exceptions for /home /root,
> /etc and a few others). Of course there are various flames about this
> idea (earth will collapse into sun etc.) but it's actually surprisingly
> well received thus far IMO.
>
> Also, keep in mind that you're talking about moving a *lot* to / here...
> all the PCI/USB databases, all the udev setup, any application that udev
> might run in it's rules.... I won't reiterate what is written in the

So?
it's less impact on / than stuffing all of /usr on /

> link Olav already provided, but suffice to say the problem is neither
> new, not specific to systemd. It's just being highlighted by systemd.
> Please keep this in mind when commenting on this topic.

Interesting on how people think "systemd is the solution to everything",
and cant accept complaints when is screws up working systems....

It's pretty much like Apple fans and their love for iCrap

>>> I somewhat agree. But even Fedora is suggesting not to have separate
>>> /usr :(
>>>

>> That does not make it less idiotic. IIRC they employ the systemd creator
>> so...
>
> But that doesn't make the idea any more or less idiotic.
>
> The reasons stated (and this discussion happened many months ago) are
> all well understood and documented in the link provided by Olav.
>
> It is NOT a systemd problem. It's a problem we have RIGHT NOW too, it's
> just that most setups are easy enough to work around by waiting and
> doing this sequentially which slows down the whole boot process. We've
> solved similar problems in the past by moving things to /lib but it's
> just a sticking plaster, not a real fix.

What's the difference of moving stuff to /lib as compared moving all of
/usr into / besides bloating /

And by chasing seconds in bootup you screw those who want to finetune
their systems. Thats a regression.

For those  people that are so concerned about bootup times, why dont
they buy new hw, use fast ssd and learn how to suspend to ram/resume ...

> If you have constructive criticism as to the reasons why this is now
> warned about specifically in systemd, then this is perfectly valid but
> should be done in context rather than simply calling it "idiotic"
> without any further clarification.

Well, it _is_ idiotic if it breaks working setups / possibilities to
finetune systems.

> And systemd is not saying that /usr cannot be on a separate partition.
> It's just saying that it cannot realistically be the job of the init
> system to mount it, it has to be handled at early boot in the initramfs,
> not by init. The reasons why this is the case are documented very clearly.

So by this reasoning we should stuff everything we can into initramfs,
and not care of partitioning / mount points at all.

--
Thomas