[Mageia-dev] Copying dependencies to Updates (Testing), or changing mgaapplet to use urpmi --auto-update instead of urpmi --update.

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Thu Sep 1 12:43:17 CEST 2011

On Thursday, 1 September 2011 12:12:46 Samuel Verschelde wrote:
> Le jeudi 25 août 2011 11:03:42, David W. Hodgins a écrit :
> > If the Mandriva way is kept, we must ensure all needed dependencies
> > are available in Updates (Testing too).

I note that the exception given for Mageia 1 to have packages that were in
Mandriva, but weren't available at Mageia 1 release be available in updates
makes this more difficult.

My laptop, upgraded from Mandriva 2010.1, still has 143 non-library packages
with 'mdv' in the release tag. I would hate to have all the dependencies of
all these 143 packages have to be copied to updates ...

> > In addition, all packager must
> > be willing to copy the dependencies from Core Release to Core Updates
> > Testing, and the sysadmin team must push them.
> >
> > If changing mgaapplet is chosen, that must be given a very high priority.
> >
> > Either way, a decision is needed quickly.
> >
> > Thanks, Dave Hodgins
>
> A decision was finally taken yesterday during packager meeting : we would
> like to change MageiaUpdate's behaviour, but before this is done we have
> to copy the dependencies from Core Release to Core Updates.
>
> What hasn't been decided is whether the packager must submit to
> updates_testing or the sysadmin copy the package from Core Release to Core
> Updates. Can we decide it quickly so that the pending updates can be
> validated ?

IMHO, the identical package should be in updates (possibly hard-linked), as:
1)Users who already had the dependency installed should not have to upgrade it
2)Package %{NAME} and EVR should be unique.

So, IMHO, sysadmins need to sync/hardlink dependency packages to updates-
testing, and move to updates once validated.

Regards,
Buchan