[Mageia-dev] Copying dependencies to Updates (Testing), or changing mgaapplet to use urpmi --auto-update instead of urpmi --update.

David W. Hodgins davidwhodgins at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 02:20:17 CEST 2011

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 06:43:17 -0400, Buchan Milne <bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net> wrote:

> On Thursday, 1 September 2011 12:12:46 Samuel Verschelde wrote:
>> Le jeudi 25 août 2011 11:03:42, David W. Hodgins a écrit :
>> > If the Mandriva way is kept, we must ensure all needed dependencies
>> > are available in Updates (Testing too).
>
> I note that the exception given for Mageia 1 to have packages that were in
> Mandriva, but weren't available at Mageia 1 release be available in updates
> makes this more difficult.

Agreed.  What really makes things worse, is the dependencies of the dependencies.
With kipi-plugins-expoblending, a requires was added for the package hugin.

Since hugin was only in Core release, the mgaapplet fails to install it.
So, hugin was copied to pushed to Core Updates Testing, and then to
Core Updates.

But, mgaapplet still couldn't install the update for kipi-plugins-expoblending,
even though hugin was available, as enblend, required by hugin, is only in
Core Release, so the dependencies dependencies must copied too.

Identifying which packages must be copied, is going to be difficult.

Effectively, everything listed by
urpmq --requires-recursive kipi-plugins-expoblending
minus the packages listed by
urpmq --requires-recursive basesystem-minimal
should be copied.

$ urpmq --requires-recursive kipi-plugins-expoblending|wc -l
629
$ urpmq --requires-recursive basesystem-minimal|wc -l
312

So 317 packages would have to be copied, to be absolutely safe.

Regards, Dave Hodgins