[Mageia-dev] Copying dependencies to Updates (Testing), or changing mgaapplet to use urpmi --auto-update instead of urpmi --update.

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Mon Sep 5 12:06:39 CEST 2011

Le samedi 3 septembre 2011 02:20:17, David W. Hodgins a écrit :
> On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 06:43:17 -0400, Buchan Milne <bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net>
wrote:

> > I note that the exception given for Mageia 1 to have packages that were
> > in Mandriva, but weren't available at Mageia 1 release be available in
> > updates makes this more difficult.
>
> Agreed.  What really makes things worse, is the dependencies of the
> dependencies. With kipi-plugins-expoblending, a requires was added for the
> package hugin.
>
> Since hugin was only in Core release, the mgaapplet fails to install it.
> So, hugin was copied to pushed to Core Updates Testing, and then to
> Core Updates.
>
> But, mgaapplet still couldn't install the update for
> kipi-plugins-expoblending, even though hugin was available, as enblend,
> required by hugin, is only in Core Release, so the dependencies
> dependencies must copied too.
>
> Identifying which packages must be copied, is going to be difficult.
>
> Effectively, everything listed by
> urpmq --requires-recursive kipi-plugins-expoblending
> minus the packages listed by
> urpmq --requires-recursive basesystem-minimal
> should be copied.
>
> $ urpmq --requires-recursive kipi-plugins-expoblending|wc -l
> 629
> $ urpmq --requires-recursive basesystem-minimal|wc -l
> 312
>
> So 317 packages would have to be copied, to be absolutely safe.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

I would check it differently :
- for an update to an existing package in mageia 1 you have to compare the
list of dependencies (recursive) to that of the previous package, not to
basesystem-minimal. This will give less results I guess.
- for a package added to Mageia 1 because it was missing but present in
Mandriva 2010.2, it can be trickier. Problems arise when the mdv package is
still present on mageia (from a previous migration) and MageiaUpdate wants to
update it : it can fail if it requires new dependencies.
One way would be to install it in a minimal Mandriva 2010.2, migrate to Mageia
1 and then either :
  - check what dependencies of the package have not been migrated
  - or install the updated package with urpmi and note what dependencies have
been pulled from release media

Hopefully urpmi --update's behaviour can be changed soon so that QA Team will
be relieved from those tedious checks ?

Best regards

Samuel