[Mageia-dev] [Mageia-discuss] MANDATORY READ : 7 days before misc unleashes CERBERUS !

Rémi Verschelde remi at verschelde.fr
Fri Sep 16 17:13:34 CEST 2011

2011/9/16 Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org>:
> Then we can increase the heuristic, like "upgrade to a new version", or
> "do several commit on it". Someone upgrading a package either :
> - is interested in it for the package ( and thus would be a maintainer )
> - is interested into having it upgraded for using on another package
> ( and thus, as a user of the rpm for another rpm, has a interest to not
> make it disappear ).
>
> And i doubt that someone would do X commit on a rpm if not interested in
> it.

I agree, though I'm afraid that some packagers may be reluctant to
update some packages they are only a bit interested in, because they
don't want to be automagically assigned as maintainers for these
packages.

It would be a shame if we were forced to drop packages because noone
wants to maintain them, though I agree that having packages without
maintainers is not a viable long-term solution. This said, I should
really consider joining the dev team (after a bit of messing around
with easy packages, though).

Regards,
Rémi / Akien