[Mageia-dev] [Mageia-discuss] MANDATORY READ : 7 days before misc unleashes CERBERUS !

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Sep 16 18:48:20 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Michael Scherer at 16/09/11 14:39 did gyre and gimble:
> Le vendredi 16 septembre 2011 à 12:44 +0200, Guillaume Rousse a écrit :
>> Le 16/09/2011 11:47, Sander Lepik a écrit :
>>> 15.09.2011 21:43, Maarten Vanraes kirjutas:
>>> That's not so good idea. What we maybe can do is that we send out a
>>> warning that if you commit to a package after the warning and the
>>> package has no maintainer yet then you become one. So that people would
>>> first check what they get on their name. Many packages were imported by
>>> Anne, i'm not sure that she's going to maintain them all. :)
>>>
>>> I would do something like that:
>>> 2 months of warning period, if you touch package that has no maintainer
>>> you become its maintainer. After 2 months we start dropping those
>>> packages that have still no maintainer.
>> This whole idea of 'touch a package, become its maintainer' assumes than
>> anyone modifying a package has an obvious interest in it.
>
> Then we can increase the heuristic, like "upgrade to a new version", or
> "do several commit on it". Someone upgrading a package either :
> - is interested in it for the package ( and thus would be a maintainer )
> - is interested into having it upgraded for using on another package
> ( and thus, as a user of the rpm for another rpm, has a interest to not
> make it disappear ).
>
> And i doubt that someone would do X commit on a rpm if not interested in
> it.

Are heuristics a good idea? How about just making mgarepo ask you if you
want to become the maintainer with a Y/n option (Y being default) when
you call submit on an unmaintained package.

This should be simple enough that people genuinely maintaining it can
just hit return and also easy enough to opt out in the case of drive by
upgrades.

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]