[Mageia-dev] MANDATORY READ : 7 days before misc unleashes CERBERUS!

Philippe DIDIER philippedidier at laposte.net
Fri Sep 16 19:20:56 CEST 2011

>16.09.2011 13:44, Guillaume Rousse :
>/>  This whole idea of 'touch a package, become its maintainer' assumes
/>/>  than anyone modifying a package has an obvious interest in it.
/>/>  However, they are case when you have rebuild a package just in order
/>/>  to accomodate for changes you made somewhere else. For instance,
/>/>  rebuilding all packages linked against a given library after updating
/>/>  this last one to a new version...
/
*>Sander Lepik*    replied/Fri Sep 16 12:53:05/
*>
*>Well, if you don't need those other packages then you just skip
>rebuilding them to see if anyone needs them. If not then we don't have a
>problem, they will be dropped :/ If anyone sees that this breaks some
>functionality in his/her packages then (s)he needs to rebuild them and
>will become maintainer.

*>Michael Scherer*      /Fri Sep 16 15:39:00/

>Someone upgrading a package either :
>- is interested in it for the package ( and thus would be a maintainer )
>- is interested into having it upgraded for using on another package
>( and thus, as a user of the rpm for another rpm, has a interest to not
>make it disappear ).

Hey men what consequences will you expect !!!

If you need an example :

Funda Wang has done a huge work (not yet finished) to upgrade libpng in Mageia.
He rebuilt at least hundred source packages to be coherent (and closed bug reports
of people crying about some programs segfaulting since libpng was upgraded)
While doing this, he upgraded several packages for which updated sources exist...
While doing this he could resolve several other bugs (giving quick answers to
personal messages I sent to him...)
If you mean he must be the maintainer of the whole lot, he never will do such a work
(Perhaps may I not to speak for him...)

Just have a look in mandriva cooker mailing list to see what kind of problem occurs with
new libpng .... (they seem overwhelmed by 500 rpms to rebuild...)

No, indeed ! upgrading a package doesn't mean you're interested in (some people are interested
in a package but not able to... thanks to the ones replying to their needs)

No, beeing interested into having a package upgraded for using on another package
( and thus, as a user of the rpm for another rpm, has a interest to not
make it disappear ) doesn't mean you let others do what they need to use their packages
depending on the one you modified...

I use hugin : I'm not able to submit a new version of it
I'm not able to submit a new version of libpng (used by hugin)
I'm not able to rebuild hugin with the new libpng
(quite not true : I did it for my own use some time ago, but I may not propose my work to a whole
community, )
If ever I was able to upgrade libpng and rebuilt hugin, I wouldn't let people assume
the consequences of my upgrading libpng ...

I thank people doing the job (even if they are not the maintainer)
  I'm perhaps a little more optimist, thinking that volunteers will catch the bugs even if they
are not the official maintainer.
But I'm afraid that declaring that a bug catcher becomes a package maintainer will prevent anyone to get so
engaged... and let the number of bugs increase !

My two drachmas