[Mageia-dev] MANDATORY READ : 7 days before misc unleashes CERBERUS!

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Mon Sep 19 00:57:25 CEST 2011

Le vendredi 16 septembre 2011 à 19:20 +0200, Philippe DIDIER a écrit :

>   I'm perhaps a little more optimist, thinking that volunteers will catch the bugs even if they
> are not the official maintainer.
> But I'm afraid that declaring that a bug catcher becomes a package maintainer will prevent anyone to get so
> engaged... and let the number of bugs increase !

That would be nice if it was not in fact already tried at Mandriva since
years.
First, the main problem is that we do not really know if something is
unmaintained or not, because the maintainer db information mean nothing
in practice since that's by design.

Several people had the impression that contribs was low quality, due to
bugs, and lack of reaction from maintainer. Which is indeed a
consequence of having no maintainer for some packages. No matter how you
spin it, "this is not taken care of" sound bad.

So we tried enough the policy of optimism. Enough to know that in the
end, it just result in more problems, and it doesn't solve much.

--
Michael Scherer