[Mageia-dev] systemd vs dm

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Sep 17 15:09:57 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Dick Gevers at 17/09/11 12:28 did gyre and gimble:
> On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 12:02:50 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote about Re:
> [Mageia-dev] systemd vs dm:
>
>> What would be useful is to find the pid of rsyslog (mine is 1505), and
>> then do:
>> [root at jimmy ~]# cat /proc/1505/cgroup
>> 8:blkio:/
>> 7:net_cls:/
>> 6:freezer:/
>> 5:devices:/
>> 4:memory:/
>> 3:cpuacct,cpu:/system/rsyslog.service
>> 2:cpuset:/
>> 1:name=systemd:/system/rsyslog.service
>

> Aha! Mine:
> 8:blkio:/
> 7:net_cls:/
> 6:freezer:/
> 5:devices:/
> 4:memory:/
> 3:cpuacct,cpu:/system/sysinit.service
> 2:cpuset:/
> 1:name=systemd:/system/sysinit.service
>
> So this shows up the error

Yeah it seems sysinit is starting rsyslog for you. So something in
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit is causing the rsyslog to start.

>> If it looks similar to mine then it has been started by systemd but it's
>> somehow "lost" that info.

Yeah I suspect that as rsyslog is not in the right cgroup, systemd has
trouble finding it.

>> I wonder, do you do anything special with either /var /var/run or /run
>> directories? Are they on separate partitions or anything?
>
> Nope, nothing done, nothing separate.
>
> But looking at rpm -qa |grep init:
> initscripts-9.21-12.mga1
> mkinitrd-6.0.93-25.mga2
> module-init-tools-3.16-1.mga2
> systemd-sysvinit-35-3.mga2
> sysvinit-tools-2.87-10.mga1
> xinit-1.3.1-1.mga2
> xinitrc-2.4.21-1.mga2
>
> I suspect that sysvinit-tools might have to be removed, but it is required
> by initscripts. So that would show up some missing package conflicts and ph
> the cause of the rsyslog start.

Nah I have the same stuff installed here so don't think it's that.

Here's a question... what does your /etc/sysconfig/speedboot say?

I've got SPEEDBOOT=no in there, perhaps try doing that as it affects how
the sysint stuff works.

Obviously we'll eventually strip out all the speedboot stuff as systemd
completely supercedes it, but this would be a good first step.

Cheers

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]