[Mageia-dev] [RFC] msec (nail) can't send reports to local users accounts - require an MTA?

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Thu Sep 29 02:52:51 CEST 2011

Johnny A. Solbu a écrit :
> On Wednesday 28 September 2011 21:31, andre999 wrote:
>
>> If we send emails to root and they aren't noticed and removed, they
>> will accumulate and eventually occupy a lot of disk space.
>>
> One solution to that is to add the first user in the aliases file as the recipient of mail to root. Or maybe prompt for who should receive mail to the administrator.
> On Debian, postfix ensures on install that someone receive root's mail. Maybe even prompts for the username or email address. I don't quite remember how.

We would avoid this problem if
1) we remove root as the default destination.
It is now the default for every security level.
This means removing "MAIL_USER=root" from every
/etc/security/msec/level.* file.

and
2) ensure that msec sends no email if no address is entered, even if
sending is activated.
So root would have to be explicitly entered.  And assume that an admin
would know what to expect if they enter root.

So we should check that no email is sent if sending is activated without
an email adresse -- I'll test that tonight.  (I changed the settings -
just need to see what msec does.)

--
André