[Mageia-dev] GNOME 3.2 or 3.4 for Mageia 2?

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Thu Sep 29 21:54:59 CEST 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 10:38:18PM +0300, Thomas Backlund wrote:
> Olav Vitters skrev 29.9.2011 22:22:
> >On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 09:50:57PM +0300, Thomas Backlund wrote:
> >>And you can obviously guarantee that the gnome release schedule wont slip...
> >
> >Guarantee, no, but the combined total number of days delayed over the
> >last 5 years or so is probably 1 day. The release cycle is *very*
> >stable.
> >

> But as you stated its only a "likely" schedule so far,
> and the https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointThree also states
>
> "! Attention: This schedule is still a draft to discuss."

My question is for the current intended release date of GNOME 3.4. If
that date is moved, of course the decision will need to be taken again.
I don't really expect any changes to the date though. And if it changes,
of course I'll say so here. My intention is to ensure Mageia has the
latest, but not at all costs.

The schedule will be made final within 3 weeks or so btw. Early enough
to revisit a Mageia 2 decision if the date is moved back.

> so I'm not conviced so far, and it also means noe even our final RC
> would have final gnome packages available, wich means a lot of
> beta/rc testing wont be done on it... meaning not really a "quality
> release"
> for Mageia 2.

Process is the same? Test the betas of GNOME 3.4, file bugs, get them
fixed and then get new tarballs?

The last stable release of GNOME 3.2 is November 23, after that date,
any bug that Mageia finds in 3.2 will not go into anything other than
3.4. So you can do loads of GNOME 3.2 testing, but it only causes a lot
of extra work trying to get the 3.4 stuff into 3.2?

I'm really new to the distribution POV (though've lurked for *many*
years), so welcome any further insight.
--
Regards,
Olav