[Mageia-dev] Adding Java-Policy

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Thu Jan 6 22:33:28 CET 2011

Michael Scherer wrote:
> Why include gcj in fact ?

I wondered about this when I took a look at some Java packages (e.g.
maven) to see how easy they would be to upgrade.  A huge amount of
complexity was introduced by the desire of the existing RPMs to produce
a gcj version of the tool involved.

I can certainly see the appeal of gcj as "compiled java" for some target
audiences even if most of us developers can't afford not to be
developing and testing with more mainstream JDKs, but it's not clear to
me that gcj needs to be a part of the install for every Java-based tool.

I'm not that familiar with gcj, but I wonder if there couldn't be
separate packages which recompile individual tools under it where
appropriate in some automated fashion rather than forcing every Java
tool packager to do this.