[Mageia-dev] Proposal for Mageia: implement bitorrent protocol to allow updates download

Marcello Anni marcello.anni at alice.it
Thu Jan 13 20:21:43 CET 2011

> Le mercredi 12 janvier 2011 à 20:14 +0100, Marcello Anni a écrit :
> > > Thanks Olivier, for saying this much better than I could
> > >
> > > wobo, yet another mirror maintainer
> > >
> > yes wobo, but  except Per Øyvind no one has really answered to my
question...
> > i think if that if we want Mageia to become the most popular distro over
the
> > world -yep!- we should find a way to augment the overall bandwith available
for
> > updates download, and what's better than bittorrent protocol to use user
> > available bandwith to do this? i would like to know:
>
> I think that we should
> 1) diagnose exactly the problem you see
> 2) then decide on the solution.
>
> So what is the problem when you download updates ?

i don't see any problem, if you read carefully the title is "proposal for
mageia", it is just a proposal to see if we can provide more capacity for
users downloads and (in a long-term vision), increase our users base without
overloading the mirrors, using the uploading capacity of users internet
connections.

> --
> Michael Scherer

Cheers,