[Mageia-dev] Proposal for Mageia: implement bitorrent protocol to allow updates download

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Thu Jan 13 20:52:57 CET 2011

Le jeudi 13 janvier 2011 à 20:21 +0100, Marcello Anni a écrit :

> > > yes wobo, but  except Per Øyvind no one has really answered to my
> question...
> > > i think if that if we want Mageia to become the most popular distro over
> the
> > > world -yep!- we should find a way to augment the overall bandwith available
> for
> > > updates download, and what's better than bittorrent protocol to use user
> > > available bandwith to do this? i would like to know:
> >
> > I think that we should
> > 1) diagnose exactly the problem you see
> > 2) then decide on the solution.
> >
> > So what is the problem when you download updates ?
>
> i don't see any problem, if you read carefully the title is "proposal for
> mageia", it is just a proposal to see if we can provide more capacity for
> users downloads

Well, IMHO, if we do provides enough capacity ( and I think we do unless
proven otherwise ), we may have better way to devote ressources, no ?

If we don't provides enough, then we need to know why in order to fix
the problem.

Getting more for the sake of getting more do not seems like a useful way
to spend our time.

> and (in a long-term vision), increase our users base without
> overloading the mirrors, using the uploading capacity of users internet
> connections.

Well, so far, the mirrors maintainers told that some of the proposed
solution would overload them.

And I do know that bittorrent was said to overload the routing
infrastructure of the internet ( more connections to keep, more routing,
etc ). Especially now that more and more networks are fragmented ( ie,
no more big /24 routing, the lack of ipv4 requires to redistribute small
part of the address space on various place )

So, maybe another proposal ?
--
Michael Scherer