[Mageia-dev] Importing RPM Spec File Syntax

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 13:48:24 CET 2011

On 17 January 2011 23:53, Florian Hubold <doktor5000 at arcor.de> wrote:
> Am 15.01.2011 11:08, schrieb Remy CLOUARD:
>>
>> http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=spec_syntax
>>
>> Please review this page as it’s one of the most important one for the
>> beginning of the mentoring process, with the RPM Howto page (yet to be
>> imported).
>
> I have one comment, or more of a question: Why is it that some time ago
> there used to be this syntax as de-facto standard:
>
> %define name
> Name: %name
>
> Never understood this, so i went with what seems the new standard,
> which saves you at least 3 lines per spec and improving readability.
>
> So anyone can enlighten me why name, release and version had %defines?

Just more visibility, ideally it comes down to that package
maintainer's preference.

(One point to note, if you see it in an unmaintained package go ahead
and change it if you want; however if you see it in the spec of
maintained package, ask the maintainer first, a nicety but still..
:)).

--
Ahmad Samir