[Mageia-dev] help wanted for building a buildnode-in-a-VM

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Fri Mar 11 01:30:33 CET 2011

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Samuel Verschelde wrote:

> Le jeudi 10 mars 2011 12:17:11, nicolas vigier a écrit :

> > > so, how exactly does this work? iurt automagically build basesystem
> > > chroots and chrootbuilds stuff? is there any task that is needed for
> > > this kind of thing?
> >
> > Yes. See iurt package. And iurt config file used on the cluster :
> > http://svnweb.mageia.org/adm/puppet/modules/buildsystem/templates/iurt.caul
> > dron.conf?revision=734&view=markup

> > > well, i donno, i don't know puppet and this is not meant to be used in a
> > > controlled environment, but just built like this and people use it
> > > locally. there is not really any need to remote control this machine.
> > > just a one time setup.
> >
> > The easiest way to setup a buildsystem is using puppet. Otherwise it
> > will be more difficult.
>
> Could someone from the sysadmins write (if it has not been done already) a
> quick guide for puppet use, for example "how to deploy a buildnode using
> puppet" ? I guess that would help Maarteen a lot :)

You will need to checkout the /puppet/modules directory.

Then look at /puppet/manifests/nodes.pp (and the other .pp files from
that directory) and use it as an example to create your own puppet files
which include only the modules you want.

Then fix some bugs, because there will probably be problems, as I don't
know if someone already tried this yet.

So it requires to know puppet, and the build system, and spend some time
to make it work.

So this is not easy. I think it could be nice later to be able to
provide something to install a buildsystem easily. But it's not yet done.
And probably not what you want if you only want to rebuild some
packages in a chroot, iurt is enough for this.