[Mageia-dev] Repository question: where do we put non-free+tainted RPMs?

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Wed Mar 16 02:55:25 CET 2011

andre999 a écrit :

> Tux99 a écrit :
>>
>> André, I agree with you, we never should have had the separation of
>> 'tainted' (and I argued that in the early days too) but that decision was
>> made a long time ago and is not up for debate here.
>> With regards to open source but not FOSS, there are many types of
>> licenses
>> that source code can come with, not all of them meet the defintion of the
>> free software foundation: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
>> Those that don't meet that definition are considered non free, this is
>> just
>> a convention commonly used in the Linux world, personally I'm not too
>> attached to this convention, but again this is not up for debate here.
>> I hope this clarifies things for you! :)
>
> Don't forget that licenses accepted by OSI are acceptable as well.
> If you like, give me the designated license and I'll check it out for you.
>
> The Mageia license policy, as I understand it, is a little more open
> than that of Mandriva, as well as that of Fedora. (I stand to be
> corrected, of course :) )

Take a look at our licensing policy page, basically a copy of Mandriva
policy at the moment :
<http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=licensing_policy>
It gives a very inclusive definition of acceptable licenses for "core".
Even special licenses which are similar to FSF or OSI approved licenses
are acceptable.

:)
--
André