[Mageia-dev] Seamonkey package

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Fri Mar 18 00:28:28 CET 2011

Romain d'Alverny a écrit :

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 10:51, nicolas vigier<boklm at mars-attacks.org>  wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011, Romain d'Alverny wrote:
>>> Wasn''t there a license change regarding the Firefox logo in the end
>>> of 2010, that was related to this?
>>
>> Yes :
>> http://glandium.org/blog/?p=933
>
> Right, thanks. But that doesn't solve the trademark usage issue,
> actually. So the question is still open.
>
> Romain

First of all, for a short period of time Mozilla seemed to require
special permission to do _any_ redistribution based on Mozilla source
code, a situation which was a response to commercial sites grossly
abusing Mozilla software, essentially defrauding end-users in the name
of Mozilla.
Subsequently they clarified their policy (but forgot to update their
site for a while.)
(The iceweavel project, created in reaction to this problem, died
shortly after Mozilla clarified their policy.)

According to their site, the clarified policy says essentially that
as long as
1) we don't modify the source code (other than applying
Mozilla-originated patches, which we can do by updating from their cvs), and
2) we don't charge for the code,
we can redistribute Mozilla products using the name, trademarks and logos.

As far as I know, Mandriva has never modified the source code, other
than applying Mozilla security patches.  And I don't see us at Mageia
wanting to do so either.

In case of doubt, the site asks us to contact them at trademarks at mozilla.com

In the worst case, we'll have to get permission (which is assured in our
case).
But I don't think the Mozilla policy requires it.

--
André