[Mageia-dev] Seamonkey package

Dick Gevers dvgevers at xs4all.nl
Fri Mar 18 03:23:34 CET 2011

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 03:00:24 +0100, Michael Scherer wrote about Re:
[Mageia-dev] Seamonkey package:

>No, I think you misinterpret this :
>
>"The author (Panagiotis Tsirigotis) grants permission to use, copy,
>and distribute this software and its documentation for any purpose
>and without fee, ..."
>
>That's the granted permission that is offered by the author without fee.
>
>Ie, _I_, as a user or coder, do not pay anything to have the right to
>distribute, use, copy the software and documentation for any purpose.
>
>Moreover "any purpose" seems to me rather clear, and for me, that also
>mean also "sell it".

I know zero about licensing, but I dare to say I understand the English
language reasonably well and I claim - with all respect - that this
interpretation is wrong, because:

The quote says you have permission ... to distribute ... without fee, so
"selling" (giving it in exchange for value) is exactly the opposite.

In other words, "selling" in this context can also be destribed as:
"distributing for a fee".

The meaning of "purpose" in your quote means 'what the recipient is going to
do with it while (s)he has it', for example:

* look at it
* frame it
* store it for reference
* put it to work in a machine
* copy it for future redistribution
* burn it
* bury it
* show its content within a wiki

etcetera. This does not include selling: by the act of selling the "purpose"
would shift to the buyer - against a fee.

That's my 2 c.

Ciao,
=Dick Gevers=