[Mageia-dev] Seamonkey package

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Fri Mar 18 00:54:38 CET 2011

Le jeudi 17 mars 2011 à 19:25 -0400, andre999 a écrit :
> Michael Scherer a écrit :

> >> Why would "do not charge for it" make it non-free ?
> >> That doesn't seem to be a requirement of open source.  Although charging
> >> for it is generally permitted in unmodified open source licenses.
> >
> > So that mean that someone cannot ask money for selling a cdrom with it,
> > since it would be charging for the software.
> >
> > That's clearly a restriction of usage. So we need to rebrand it.
>
> Charging for the media is not charging for the software.

Reread again http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/trademarks/policy.html :

"If you are using the Mozilla Mark(s) for the unaltered binaries you are
distributing, you may not charge for that product. By not charging, we
mean the Mozilla product must be without cost and its distribution
(whether by download or other media) may not be subject to a fee, or
tied to subscribing to or purchasing a service, or the collection of
personal information."

Let me highlight a part of the quote

"its distribution (whether by download or other media) may not be
subject to a fee"

So I cannot distribute it by selling a CD, since this would subject the
distribution to a fee.

The article of the FSF explicitly list this as a right for free software
users http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html .

--
Michael Scherer