[Mageia-dev] Seamonkey package

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Fri Mar 18 02:05:04 CET 2011

Michael Scherer a écrit :

> Le jeudi 17 mars 2011 à 19:25 -0400, andre999 a écrit :
>> Michael Scherer a écrit :

>>> So that mean that someone cannot ask money for selling a cdrom with it,
>>> since it would be charging for the software.
>>>
>>> That's clearly a restriction of usage. So we need to rebrand it.
>>
>> Charging for the media is not charging for the software.
>
> Reread again http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/trademarks/policy.html :
>
> "If you are using the Mozilla Mark(s) for the unaltered binaries you are
> distributing, you may not charge for that product. By not charging, we
> mean the Mozilla product must be without cost and its distribution
> (whether by download or other media) may not be subject to a fee, or
> tied to subscribing to or purchasing a service, or the collection of
> personal information."
>
> Let me highlight a part of the quote
>
> "its distribution (whether by download or other media) may not be
> subject to a fee"

And it is not.  Anyone is free to download, without cost, from the
Mageia site, any software in the distribution, including all Mozilla
products offered.  That some people (or even Mageia itself) may choose
to offer an iso, containing many packages, for a fee as an extra
service, does not in any way restrict users having no-cost access to the
Mozilla products distributed by Mageia.  Mageia is offering the Mozilla
product without charge.
I would say that choosing to interpret that as a fee for a Mozilla
product is a very obtuse interpretation.
As well, there is no use of the Mozilla logo or trademark in this case,
only a package with the original Mozilla product name.

> So I cannot distribute it by selling a CD, since this would subject the
> distribution to a fee.

Only if the CD contained only (or primarily) Mozilla products would I
say that you would reason for concern.  For an officiel Mageia iso, that
would be very far from the case.

> The article of the FSF explicitly list this as a right for free software
> users http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html .

That is a provision of unmodified GPL, and not a requirement of all open
source licenses.  In fact, even the FSF admits that not all open source
licenses have this provision.

The FSF page
  <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#SoftwareLicenses>
lists the Xinetd license
  <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing/Xinetd_License>
as a free software license which is not compatible with GPL.

Why ?  It cannot be redistributed for a fee.

--
André