[Mageia-dev] Seamonkey package

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Fri Mar 18 02:34:16 CET 2011

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011, andre999 wrote:

>> The article of the FSF explicitly list this as a right for free software
>> users http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html .
>
> That is a provision of unmodified GPL, and not a requirement of all open
> source licenses.  In fact, even the FSF admits that not all open source
> licenses have this provision.

Read the free software definition :
"Thus, you should be free to redistribute copies, either with or without
modifications, either gratis or charging a fee for distribution, to
anyone anywhere".

Or read the open source definition :
http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd

> The FSF page
>  <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#SoftwareLicenses>
> lists the Xinetd license
>  <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing/Xinetd_License>
> as a free software license which is not compatible with GPL.
>
> Why ?  It cannot be redistributed for a fee.

That's not the reason given on the fsf page :
"It is incompatible because it places extra restrictions on
redistribution of modified versions that contradict the redistribution
requirements in the GPL".

If you read the license you will see that there are restrictions in the
version number that can be used in modified version. But I think the
license allows redistribution for a fee.