[Mageia-dev] second impressions of mageia 1 alpha 2 (upgrade from MDV 2010 x86_64 PWP)

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 20:49:35 CET 2011

Op vrijdag 18 maart 2011 01:55:13 schreef Maarten Vanraes:
> [...]
> ()" (#426)
> - it then proceeded to show the screen to reboot
> - documentation asked to look on terminal to find out some stuff, but in my
> vbox, pressing Function keys with alt didn't do anything, and ctrl-alt
> switched me on the host, so i couldn't test that.
>
> so i rebooted.
>
> - rebooting showed me the old grub (text + graphic), but seemed to boot
> into mageia, (even after selecting mandriva).
> - black background in DM
> - logging in to KDE gives "could not start kdeinit4. check your
> installation" and a second window behind it, about changing names of
> folders. i was in a daring mood and clicked update names. and after that
> on the "okay" button from the kde error message. it got me back to kdm, so
> i clicked console login - seeing tty, i noticed it still said Mandriva
> linux
> - product.id + /etc/issue still unchanged
> - urpmq --list-url showed me that the DVD was still listed as medium, so i
> did the urpmi --auto-update
> - "unable to access core media" but it continued with message:
> - "some requested packages cannot be installed: dblatex, gtk-doc", i said
> yes - "the following will be removed: " kmail, due to missing kio-* ; and
> some others like mdkonline and some python stuff., i said yes
> - then installing package step, 276 packages and 39MB will be freed., i
> said yes.
> - it said, please insert medium "core media"
> - i ejected it in vbox and put it back in, that did the trick
> - it tried to start and said i needed 86MB on / (out of disk space?)
> - i removed tetex (it seemed to take 200M on /usr/share/texmf) with urpme
> and it removed also 12 that depended on it dblatex and stuff
> - i redid the autoupdate, and it asked again to insert medium core media,
> but reinserting it didn't seem to work. also not inserting something else
> first. - failing that, i removed the core media and set up urpmi sources
> from online local media. alas it seemed aria2c didn't work due to libz and
> libxml versions missing...
> - specifying --wget option didn't help either, because my eth0 wasn't
> present, but renamed to eth1, which didn't have a config, of course.
> - after dhclient eth1 and shutting down firewall, and iptables service to
> accept, that worked.
> - it also showed the "2\n2" isn't numeric warning messages (#201)
> - i also had to add --no-md5sum (due to md5sum check failed)
> - i also got messages that it was unable to get pubkeys
> - urpmi --auto-update --wget gave warnings but seemed to work, only 2
> packages were to be removed due to python < 2.7
> - after it ran, it seemd to be only related to urpmi update, and so it
> restarted itself and asked me to remove libktorrent to proceed, i say yes
> - it then said 300+ extra MB for 1700+ packages, i say yes
> - it's halfway through installing atm, i'll go to sleep and tomorrow i'll

continuing:

- after installing, i rebooted
- no 2secs delay
- no F1 F2 F3 text bug, colors looks nice
- but, text and graphic of grub is updated
- choose mageia 1
- kdm displays, and looks ok
- the konsoles that were open still open fine
- indexhtml page seems still not to work (#72)
- firebug doesn't work for the 4.0 rc1 (i suppose this is the disadvantage of
shipping firefox 4.0 branch, there is hardly any addon support) which reminds
me, there isn't a KDE plasma notifier addon installed as well.
- all games submenus have this weird cardlike icon, even arcade and others
- the "more" thing is still there and in it, is the "pulseaudio config
settings" ?
- the configure your computer icon is below the line in the system tools menu
- weird artifact bug when showing shutdown menu (#439)
- i sent missing rpms from mdv (#440)

voila! upgrade test complete.