[Mageia-dev] qt3-devel needed for Trinitydesktop (KDE 3.5 successor)

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Wed Mar 23 21:25:25 CET 2011

Quote: Anne nicolas wrote on Wed, 23 March 2011 20:47

> As explained by some guys before, we do not want to have both KDE3 and
> 4 in repository. This has been a big pain to make them live together
> for some months (even if it looks "easy") and it has been a pain to
> clean repository.

I know that KDE3/KDE4 coexistence was hard in the beginning in fact in Mdv
2009.0 it was a disaster, but from 2009.1 onwards it has worked
perfectly.
I have run a few installs (2009.1 and 2010.0) with both KDE3 and KDE4 on
the same box without any issues.

The existing Mandriva packages from Tim and tarakbumba are a continuation
of the official Mandriva KDE3 packages so they don't have any conflicts
with KDE4 anymore.

Any Mageia TrinityDE packages would be derived from the Mandriva packages
so just like the Mandriva packages there is no reason that there should be
any problems.

TrinityDE is a live FOSS project and is now completely separate from KDE,
so excluding it would be like saying we don't include Gnome since we
already provide KDE.

> Now one solution is to propose a repository dedicated to it on your
> side.

I certainly don't have the web space and bandwidth resources for a
repository and frankly I joined Mageia as a packager precisely because I
thought Mageia would finally make confusing and conflicting third party
repos (like Mandriva has) obsolete.

--
Mageia ML Forum Gateway: http://mageia.linuxtech.net/forum/