[Mageia-dev] qt3-devel needed for Trinitydesktop (KDE 3.5 successor)

Anne nicolas ennael1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 20:47:09 CET 2011

2011/3/23 Maarten Vanraes <maarten.vanraes at gmail.com>:
> Op woensdag 23 maart 2011 19:22:08 schreef nicolas vigier:
>> On Wed, 23 Mar 2011, Robert Xu wrote:
>> > And I hate to double post, but I do know that the %configure_kde3
>> > macro should point to /opt/kde3... :)
>>
>> So that means that all KDE applications will be twice on the repository,
>> one for KDE4, and one for TDE ? I think that can be confusing for users.
>>
>> Packaging and maintaining this is probably a huge task, and can maybe
>> cause problems to KDE users if only done half, or incorrectly. I think
>> it would be better to start with an external repository. And only import
>> on the main repository once everything is working and we have someone
>> who plans to maintain it.
>
> I think this is the big point here. if there isn't anyone willing to maintain
> qt3, and someone willing to maintain TDE to the point that it doesn't conflict
> at any point with KDE4 and KDE4 apps.
>
> personally i think that by the time this is well enough tested to be put in to
> core/testing, that TDE will likely have "enough" qt4 support. So, if i was
> someone who used that, i would build it locally for myself and test it
> gradually that way, and not really bother with the whole submission, and
> maintaining of every app... (which is likely alot of work; unless noone uses
> it)

As explained by some guys before, we do not want to have both KDE3 and
4 in repository. This has been a big pain to make them live together
for some months (even if it looks "easy") and it has been a pain to
clean repository.

Now one solution is to propose a repository dedicated to it on your side.

--
Anne
http://www.mageia.org