[Mageia-dev] Non-free firmwares in installer

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Fri Mar 25 09:23:56 CET 2011

----- "andre999" <andr55 at laposte.net> wrote:

> Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :

> firmware?

> iso,

> non-free
> process.

> not
> card
> part
> >>
> >> Yep, it could just be an option. The desktop selection step seems
> to be a
> >> good place in the installer to include it, it is visible enough,
> and
> >> right before packages installation. Though it would have to be
> renamed.
> >>
> >> We could have a checkbox "Install proprietary drivers if needed
> >> (non-free software)", ticked by default.
>
> perfect solution :)

Maybe for you. Maybe for me. But, the *real* question is, would this discourage some of our target market from using our distribution.

IOW, we *must* get community input (after documenting some proposals).

> > Are you aware that this would mean that Mageia is not a "free
> > distribution" as planned? No matter how you phrase the question and
> > how many checkboxes a user would have to check, if non-free
> contents
> > is included in an ISO it is not a free ISO anymore.
>
> Mageia the distribution includes non-free software.  We are talking
> about what we include on the ISO.
> If users want to exclude installing any non-free packages, this
> check-box solution solves the problem nicely.

Depends on what guidelines you follow. E.g., some might say there shouldn't be a checkbox at all. Some might say the checkbox should be disabled by default. Some might say that there should be no non-free software on the default media.

> So users that want to ensure that their installation works "out of the
>
> box" will be satisfied.
> And purists that don't mind some things not working, can avoid
> installing non-free drivers.

"Can avoid" and "guaranteed to never occur" are not the same, and some users may want the latter.

> Sounds like a win-win solution to me :)

But, again, this is subjective, you are presenting your preference, and yours may not be the only one we should cater to.

Regards,
Buchan