[Mageia-dev] Non-free firmwares in installer

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Fri Mar 25 09:41:08 CET 2011

----- "Tux99" <tux99-mga at uridium.org> wrote:

> Quote: andr55 wrote on Fri, 25 March 2011 01:29
>
> > My though was essentially that firmware is so close to hardware
> that
> > its
> > actual free/non-free status shouldn't apply - we should treat it
> like
> > (almost) part of the hardware.
>
> I agree with that. After all nobody (apart from R. Stallmann)
> questions the
> fact that the BIOS of their PC is non-free or all the other firmware
> or
> microcode on various chips on the motherboard and on expansion cards
> and
> peripherals.
>
> Firmware belongs into 'core',

You mean, firmware which has an unrestricted distribution licence?

> Nvidia/ATI drivers and the Flash plugin
> belong into 'non-free'.

Actually, for Flash, we need a redistribution license. Has someone contacted Adobe about this?

Redistribution of Flash without a licence is prohibited[1]. We can apply for a licence to redistribute[2].

Regards,
Buchan

1. http://www.adobe.com/products/players/fpsh_faq.html#section-1-5
2. http://www.adobe.com/go/fp_apply_dist