[Mageia-dev] qt3-devel needed for Trinitydesktop (KDE 3.5 successor)

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Fri Mar 25 11:20:51 CET 2011

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011, Tux99 wrote:

> Quote: rdalverny wrote on Fri, 25 March 2011 10:30
>
> > Wait. What you seem to forget is that this is not only about rights
> > but too about duties. The "freedom" above comes from people that take
> > their time to craft and package things, so they are verily in their
> > right and duty to make choices - documented, discussed, agreed. And
> > it's not because just one or two people argue and argue the contrary
> > that the maintainer should ... "obey".
>
> As a general principle in a community that values freedom anything that
> doesn't affect others negatively shouldn't be arbitrarily restricted.
> Also I never asked anyone else to do anything, I said I would reenable
> qt3-devel unless there is a COMPELLING (i.e. blocking) reason not to do
> so.

The COMPELLING reason has already been said. It's because we don't want
to have software built on a deprecated library in the repository. The
only reason that we keep the library and only removed the devel package
is that some external LSB programs could use it, so we need it to be
compatible with LSB.