[Mageia-dev] qt3-devel needed for Trinitydesktop (KDE 3.5 successor)

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 11:56:49 CET 2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 11:38, Tux99 <tux99-mga at uridium.org> wrote:
> Also is there an official rule somewhere that specifies:
>
> "because we don't want to have software built on a deprecated library in
> the repository"
>
> or is this simply an arbitrary rule that restricts freedoms of users and
> other packagers?

Nothing is always written down on paper. Saying it's arbitrary because
it comes out of packagers' experience is a tad extreme. Saying that
"restricts freedoms of users" is clearly excessive here. Again, it's
not as if it was a closed product: users can open the box and package
stuff too (ah yes, it's not dead obvious to do so, but that's
something we can aim to improve in the coming years).

What will come out of Mageia, in June, won't satisfy everyone. Choices
will have been done. A choice is arbitrary, always. It always says no
to something. Implying that this would "restrict freedoms of users"
would be laughable at best, offensive at worst, especially since this
is an open source project.

That's not to say that people will just have to help themselves, we
expect to make something cool and useful, but we're not going to say
"yes!" to everything and everyone either.

> In the early days a 'contrib' repo was suggested for not officially
> supported packages (I was for that idea too), this would be a good
> situation where a 'contrib' repo would solve this matter for everyone.

Please open a bug for that if you think it's worth discussing it again.

Romain