[Mageia-dev] qt3-devel needed for Trinitydesktop (KDE 3.5 successor)

xi ctrl.alt.sup at free.fr
Fri Mar 25 13:05:31 CET 2011

nicolas vigier wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2011, Tux99 wrote:
>

>> Quote: nicolas vigier wrote on Fri, 25 March 2011 12:08
>>
>>> Because we want to be sure that nothing is built on this library.
>> So you are arbitrarily making life harder to people like Xavier and
>> myself.
>
> And you want to arbitrarily make life a lot harder to people who want
> to make sure the distribution is not based on obsolete and unmaintained
> software.
>
> On the other hand, rebuilding a qt3 package yourself takes a few
> minutes.
[...]
> You're building other software, but you can't rebuild a qt3 package
> yourself ?

Sorry but I can't agree here: when I build a software, I like to build
_just_ the software, not the whole system around! (I would use a Gentoo
otherwise).
I loved Mandriva because of this point: it was at the same time simple
to use AND full of resource to build and customize specialized applications.

If you are on this way, you can also remove QCad*: yes it is old,
unmaintained and based on QT3 - but still the best free 2D drawing
software on Linux ...

As a user, I still use applications which needs qt3 and with no
equivalent based on QT4 ; so I would like qt3-devel to be included in Mageia

I can't see the point in not including packages just because they are
unmaintained. They are still used and useful + you have people who want
to package them, so ?

Thanks for reading me,
Xavier

* maybe it is already removed from Mageia, I didn't checked. But I think
I can find a lot of other example of obsolete & unmaintained software
but still useful which were in Mandriva (eg xmms).