[Mageia-dev] Shutdown button by default in Mageia 2 Gnome request

Sebastian sebsebseb sebsebseb_mageia at gmx.com
Tue Apr 3 03:21:54 CEST 2012

I am replying later than intended.

On 29/03/12 10:46, Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 08:07:14PM +0100, Sebastian sebsebseb wrote:
>> Anyway going back on topic I strongly believe that Mageia 2's Gnome
>> Shell should be showing the shut down button by default, even though
>> like Olav and I assume Bkor as well, I would like Mageia's Gnome to
>> stay rather close to upstream by default at the moment.
> I don't care about this specific topic (shutdown button).
I was expecting that kind of reply, but I think the email was worth a
try anyway :).

> Oxygen is something that I'd wish wasn't the default within GNOME 3.
I was using that as an example of Mageia dong something to Gnome that
wasn't upstream. Since what I was suggesting isn't upstream.

> For the shut down button: if someone packages it and keeps it up to
> date, handles bugs if any (meaning: maintainer), then cool.
Well I guess really in general there should be a lot of extensions in
the repo's for Gnome Shell, and not just for shut down? I mean
extensions give people more choice on what can be done with Gnome, just
like Firefox extensions give people more choice in what can be done with
Firefox.

Personally I think it would be a rather good thing from a user point of
view, if Gnome Shell became much more like Firefox, as in had many
extensions available for it.

> Don't forget that GNOME shell extensions only work with a specific
> version and I won't wait with updating gnome-shell or look at the
> shutdown button package if it happens to be packaged when gnome-shell is
> updated (IMO: package upgrades should be automated as much as possible).

Well yes extensions should never delay the release of Gnome itself in
distros, or in general.

 From Sebastian sebsebseb