[Mageia-dev] A note on autologin and startx

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Apr 6 18:14:04 CEST 2012

Hi,

OK, so the autologin package was a bit broken. I've fixed it up but my
patches are a bit hacky.

My patch always assumes tty1+vt1 for X which is a reasonable assumption.
It might however be better to get the current tty by reading
/sys/class/tty/tty0/active or calling ctermid(). This would have to be
passed through to the startx command as a vt number.

Overall, however, the autologin code is pretty broken. I *should*
register a graphical login after starting X (the same way gdm does it),
that way it will remain active and there won't be vt switch related issues.

Also, as per previous discussions, I've made startx reuse the current
tty when starting x (if you don't supply a vtN argument) which should
keep the login permissions. It's still a bit fugly, but it's better than
not working at all IMO.