[Mageia-dev] A note on autologin and startx

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Apr 6 22:53:09 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Olav Vitters at 06/04/12 21:10 did gyre and gimble:
> On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 05:14:04PM +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> Overall, however, the autologin code is pretty broken. I *should*
>> register a graphical login after starting X (the same way gdm does it),
>> that way it will remain active and there won't be vt switch related issues.
>
> IMO (and take into account + as said many times before, I almost only
> care about GNOME), drop it (Mageia 3?).
>
> Within GNOME you can configure the GDM autologin via System Settings. If
> the patches are hackish, why support it while loads of extra display
> managers are being added. Just creates more problems IMO.

Couldn't agree more. I'd say we can happily provide a tool to configure
autologin, but if that is configured, it basically just sets the DM to
gdm, and lets' it do the autologin.

The fact that gdm is used should be mostly hidden from users.

>From what I've seen, gdm seems to be the best implementation of the
whole pam and authentication stuff, so this would be my personal favourite.