[Mageia-dev] painful discussion n°1: debloating

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+mageia at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 10 12:09:37 CEST 2012

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 9:29 AM, You-Cheng Hsieh <yochenhsieh at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've made the changes of 1) and 2) locally:
> - remove Suggests: seahorse in gnome-keyring
> - add Suggests: seahorse in task-gnome-minimal

It is pointless to "optimize" for minimal installation and then break
usability for regular installs.

Manually install of gnome-keyring not resulting in a GUI to manage the
keys/passwords/other entries is of little use for the casual user, but
of course it works without, as applications can access the stored
passwords nevertheless, that's why it seahorse is a suggested package
and not a required one.

Suggests to seahorse in gnome-keyring makes perfect sense.

Adding seahorse as suggests to task-gnome-*minimal* is
counter-productive, it is not an application that is needed to run
gnome, it is not needed to have gnome-applications store passwords and
access them again.

It is the completely wrong way to fix this in my POV.

The actual fix would be to just not install suggested packages when
minimal install is requested. Or to prompt the user so that he can
deselect suggested packages manually. But when someone performs an
explicit minimal installation, this for me implies he only wants the
required stuff, and no suggests at all.

ciao
Christian