[Mageia-dev] RFC: Add versioned require in rpm on rpm-helper

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 11:36:09 CEST 2012

On 16 April 2012 11:30, Thomas Backlund <tmb at mageia.org> wrote:

>>> But AFAIK installer obeys rpm requires,

(...)

>> Read again what I wrote: installer doesn't do any priority upgrade since
>> it doesn't need upgrading itself and doesn't use the installed system
>> rpm/urpmi
>
> Ah, you only mentioned system urpmi (not rpm) first time.
>
> but wont installer already use correct rpm/rpm-helper, since it's built from
> current cauldron packages?
> (and can be rebuilt again after updated rpm-helper)

installer runs packages post-scripts in their chrooted environment,
aka the installed system.

>>> and since rpm is a priority package, it will be done in the beginning,
>>> wont
>>> it ?
>>
>> NO.
>
> but since it's already correct version in stage2, we should already be ok,
> or... ?

Unless you add specific versionated requires, you've no guaranties that rpm
will get updated before foobar which has a systemd unit and requires
an up to date rpm-helper.

>>> Then we wouldn't need this.
>>
>> Yes we do
>
> So instead of fixing one package we will have to fix many packages :/

That has always be the way to do.
Any package should require what it needs for its post/pre scripts.
For systemd units, that means, an up to date rpm-helper.

Another way would be to alter the installer (see install/pkgs & media.pm)
in order to install first urpmi by handling priority upgrades w/o
actually restarting
itself of course. (Might need urpmi changes).

Or to explicitly upgrade rpm/rpm-helper first.