[Mageia-dev] RFC: Add versioned require in rpm on rpm-helper

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Mon Apr 16 12:32:13 CEST 2012

Thierry Vignaud skrev 16.4.2012 12:36:
> On 16 April 2012 11:30, Thomas Backlund<tmb at mageia.org>  wrote:
>> Ah, you only mentioned system urpmi (not rpm) first time.
>>
>> but wont installer already use correct rpm/rpm-helper, since it's built from
>> current cauldron packages?
>> (and can be rebuilt again after updated rpm-helper)
>
> installer runs packages post-scripts in their chrooted environment,
> aka the installed system.

Thanks for clarifying.

>>> NO.
>>
>> but since it's already correct version in stage2, we should already be ok,
>> or... ?
>
> Unless you add specific versionated requires, you've no guaranties that rpm
> will get updated before foobar which has a systemd unit and requires
> an up to date rpm-helper.

Yep, that was why I thought adding versioned requires on rpm would be
enough (wich it would be in urpmi case)

>>> Yes we do
>>
>> So instead of fixing one package we will have to fix many packages :/
>
> That has always be the way to do.
> Any package should require what it needs for its post/pre scripts.

Yeah, that's true.

> For systemd units, that means, an up to date rpm-helper.

True.

> Another way would be to alter the installer (see install/pkgs&  media.pm)
> in order to install first urpmi by handling priority upgrades w/o
> actually restarting
> itself of course. (Might need urpmi changes).
>
> Or to explicitly upgrade rpm/rpm-helper first.

Ok, so whatever we do decide, we need to fix it fast, we are supposed to
release beta3 soon...

Thinking some more on the issue, I guess the best way is to fix requires
on all packages with systemd units as it will cover every way (besides
--nodeps) people can install the rpms.

--
Thomas