[Mageia-dev] latest kernels not powering off machines on shutdown

Christiaan Welvaart cjw at daneel.dyndns.org
Fri Aug 10 21:27:50 CEST 2012

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012, Pascal Terjan wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 7:04 PM, Jose Jorge <lists.jjorge at free.fr> wrote:
>> Le 09/08/2012 20:10, Thierry Vignaud a écrit :
>>
>>> I've the impression that for some time, kernels do not power off machines
>>> anymore on shutdown.
>>> The kernel prints "System halted." but the machine remains powered.
>>> I've seen that with VMs and with real PCs.
>>>
>>> Does someone else see that?
>>
>> Yes, and some other distros do the same (at least Slitaz). Before Mageia 2,
>> there was no interest in having both halt and poweroff doing the same.
>>
>> Now, we can do "poweroff" to cut the power after stopping the kernel, or
>> "halt" to keep  the power on.

As I said earlier, if you are looking for these system shutdown commands,
use:
   systemctl reboot
   systemctl halt
   systemctl poweroff
directly. The "halt, "reboot", and "poweroff" commands are only there for
backwards compatibility.

> How many people expect their machine to power off when they type halt?
> How many people will want their machine to not halt and not poweroff?
>
> Said in another way:
> - How many people will this change cause problem to?
> - How many people will benefit from it?
>
> I would expect the ratio to be about at least 99.9/0.1 which is why I hate it.
>
> This change seem to be done without any consideration for users.

So fix it, no change to systemctl is needed AFAICT, just replace the
symlink with a tool that does "the right thing", probably running
"poweroff" passing all arguments verbatim. Don't forget to fix the
manpage as well.

     Christiaan