[Mageia-dev] latest kernels not powering off machines on shutdown

Digigold digigold808 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 00:12:41 CEST 2012

On 08/10/2012 03:27 PM, Christiaan Welvaart wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2012, Pascal Terjan wrote:
>
>> How many people expect their machine to power off when they type halt?
>> How many people will want their machine to not halt and not poweroff?
>>
>> Said in another way:
>> - How many people will this change cause problem to?
>> - How many people will benefit from it?
>>
>> I would expect the ratio to be about at least 99.9/0.1 which is why I
>> hate it.
>>
>> This change seem to be done without any consideration for users.
>
> So fix it, no change to systemctl is needed AFAICT, just replace the
> symlink with a tool that does "the right thing", probably running
> "poweroff" passing all arguments verbatim. Don't forget to fix the
> manpage as well.
>

>     Christiaan

Another possible fix would be to create an alias, maybe add it to
.bashrc.  Personally I have always just preferred to use the good old
'init 0' and 'init 6' commands.  No matter what version of whatever
distro you may be using they always do the same thing.

--

        /"A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back
        to its old dimensions."/

          *~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.*