[Mageia-dev] Perl MIDI:ALSA module (package suggestion for Mageia)

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Sat Dec 8 15:49:40 CET 2012

Hi tux99,

On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 14:43:47 +0100 (CET)
tux99-mga at uridium.org wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks to Peter Billam there is now a Perl module that gives Perl
> complete access to the ALSA MIDI library therefore allowing to easily
> create programs in Perl that inteface with MIDI capable synthesizers.
>
> I have packaged up this Perl module for Centos 6 and I think it should
> be straightforward to port the Centos 6 spec-file to Mageia, but since
> I'm not a Mageia packager (and can't be due to lack of time) I wanted to
> bring this to your attention with the hope that a Mageia packager picks
> this up and adds this very useful package to Mageia.

I now packaged your perl-MIDI-ALSA for Mageia Linux 3/Cauldron after some
Mageiaisation of the .spec file. Thanks!

If you wish to return the favour you can package Freecell Solver
( http://fc-solve.shlomifish.org/ ) for Fedora/CentOS. The .tar.bz2 already has
a built-in .spec and .spec.in and there's also a Mageia package for it here:

http://mirrors.kernel.org/mageia/distrib/cauldron/SRPMS/core/release/freecell-solver-3.14.1-1.mga3.src.rpm

I should note that it should better be made a suggests of the Fedora PySolFC
package, because it enhances it (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYdqNuX4WJc
). PySolFC recommends the following flags in build Freecell Solver:

--enable-max-num-freecells=8
--enable-max-num-stacks=20
--enable-max-num-initial-cards-per-stack=60

Translated into the new CMake build system, they are:

%cmake -DLOCALE_INSTALL_DIR=%{_datadir}/locale -DLIB_INSTALL_DIR=%{_libdir} \
-DMAX_NUM_FREECELLS=8 -DMAX_NUM_STACKS=20 -DMAX_NUM_INITIAL_CARDS_IN_A_STACK=60

I tried to set up a Fedora VM to prepare the package and test it, but Fedora
ran extremely slowly on my VirtualBox VM and I couldn't stand it (Mageia and
other Linux distributions as well as Windows and FreeBSD run fine on different
VMs). If anyone can she any light on this issue, I'll be grateful as well.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish